Monday, October 27, 2008

What were we thinking?!?

When Paige was born with her club feet, we were so lucky to find Dr. Steve Santora at Shriner's Hospital. I have not run into many people who understand the amazing things that are performed there. Shriner's Hospital is run completely by private donations and the doctors there perform the orthopedic procedures necessary without all the taboo of insurance companies. Being there has made me so grateful that although Paige's feet are a big deal to us, they are relatively minor.
We always knew there was a possiblity that the serial castings Paige had at birth might not be sufficient to completely correct her feet. We have continued yearly follow-up care and were told last spring that it was time for something more. We thought we had carefully scheduled this surgery...Paige was off track and wouldn't miss much school, I would be on maternity leave from work and could stay home to care for her. However, as it got closer, I realized it was a BIG DEAL! Paige went into surgery Wednesday morning. Claire had slept over at her Aunt Valerie's because we had to be at the hospital at 6:30. The staff was amazing. They had gifts waiting for her on her bed and explained exactly what was going to happen. It reminded me a lot of last week's episode of Grey's Anatomy where George was dealing with the defiant child and finally just showed him everything and the boy wasn't scared anymore. Paige was most nervous about the stitches and getting a needle in her arm. She had some medication and a gas mask and was out long before the IV went in. The plan was to clip a muscle in the ball of her feet to help turn them out. However, once that was done, her foot placement still wasn't quite right, so Dr. Santora also did some tendon lengthening in her calves. So what we were told would be a 3 hour procedure turned into 4 and 1/2.

Paige slept so hard that we had to request her to come back from recovery. She was so excited the night before that she hardly slept, not to mention that she was woken up hours before normal that morning. She came out with hot pink casts and pretty loopy. I knew she wasn't all there when she didn't even notice Bode was there. She stayed until Thursday night, when they tried to give her Percocet and she decided to come home. Her recovery thus far has been trying to say the least. We are really trying to be patient but also teach her some manners in asking for help. The lessons seem to be going well since she really can't do much for herself. Bode seems to be the best medicine for her. Her first night home, they snuggled up together in our bed with her whispering in his ear, "You have the best big sister". She has a wheelchair that brings her a lot of attention, but she spends most of her days in bed. Which means, I have seen everything Disney ever made, TWICE, I am champion of Old Maid, and we have been through three boxes of crayons. This is bound to be a LONG six weeks!


7 comments:

My name is Andrea said...

What a beautiful picture of the two of them! You are such a trooper taking care of a newborn and a child recovering from surgery, all while recovering yourself from childbirth. I sure hope Steve is being a good helper! ;o)(wink)

KJlovesBubba said...

Oh my! You have your hands full - beautiful picture though, so peaceful at that moment . . . here's to a quick recovery for her and much needed break for you!

Heather said...

That first picture is just so darling. You can really see the love between them. I can't believe all that you have on your plate right now. Please let me know what I can do to help out! We love you guys!
p.s. Tell Paige we think she's a trooper!

Amanda said...

I love that picture of Paige and Bode. Tell Paige I love the pink casts. Let me know if there is anything you need.

the bonzoodles. said...

OH my. You definately have got to be overwhelmed. I hope that everything turns out well for poor Paige. She has got to be in serious pain. I cannot even imagine all that you are doing right now. I wish you the best.

The Gatherum Clan! said...

Ok, SUPER MOM!! Aren't you the one that is supposed to be recovering?! Wow! Can I get some of your energy and patience!! I could really use it! :) I love the picture of them snuggling in bed. So precious!

Kristin said...

Brooke that is amazing. It is so inspiring what they do up at Shriners. It is also amazing that you are surviving all of that juggling. I know from experience that we just do what we have to do the best we can, and sometimes I have felt like it is not enough, but we get through it. I am glad everything is going good for Paige. I would really love to see you and your new family, call me, or email me or something ( I know in all your spare time!)