Friday, February 1, 2008

A new toaster

My schedule is crazy. Anyone who knows me, knows that I keep crazy hours but it works for our family. I will admit though, since I started working graveyard shifts, my girls have some new found freedom in the late mornings. Somehow, sleeping in until eleven isn't late enough!! Paige has been really good to play little mother, she makes Toaster Streudels for breakfast in the mornings while I am still in bed. She loves being a "mom" so I allow her to do it, plus I get ten more minutes to snooze.

Yesterday, her toasting skills got put to the test. We had received an awesome letter from our cute nephew in the MTC. I had gotten online in our bedroom to write a Dear Elder letter back to him to let him know how thrilled we are that he is doing well. As I was typing, I could hear the girls playing in the kitchen, but wasn't concerned about them. Next thing I know, Paige comes running into my bedroom telling me I had to come with her. Now she does this often and it is usually something like, where is my green Polly Pocket purse, or check out this commercial, so I told her to wait. She continued to nag at me until I finally left my letter to see what the hub-bub was about. In the kitchen I see Claire sitting on the counter, next to the unplugged, smoking toaster. I also see two Kraft singles wrappers and a loaf of bread. Paige takes me by the hand and says, "You have got to see this!" I look into the toaster to see both slots full of melted cheesy goo. The burnt smell filled the kitchen. I looked back at Paige to get angry and she just looked up at me with those big, beautiful blue eyes and said, "I'm sorry, I was just trying to make some cheese toast!"

Needless to say, Paige got a big hug for being so darn cute (& clever) and we bought a new toaster.

7 comments:

My name is Andrea said...

Hey Brooke and Steve! It's Andrea Opfar! Your kids sound a-dor-a-ble! I have loved checkin' out your blog!

Heather said...

That story is hilarious! Your girls are too funny! I am impressed that they thought to unplug the toaster. They sure are smart! Love ya!

Jewels said...

That's pretty creative. I'm impressed! I'll have to watch your house more closely...make sure it's not up in smoke one of these days.

And what is this...they are making a "Twilight" movie?!!!

Tamilisa said...

Paige is so cute. How funny! I wish I got to see them more. Is it time yet to get together again? Is is Christmas yet?? :)

Heather said...

Hey Brookie, I just wanted to tell you that I love the look of the blog and the new name too! So cute!

The Gatherum Family said...

How funny and cute. Glad it wasn't scarier-You gotta love when they try so hard to "help!"

Brady + Marsha said...

I love your new blog name. How could your girls be anything but cute!