Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Laugh...it's the only way to keep from crying!

Once again, as I was neglecting them, my independent daughters got themselves into trouble. I remember being downstairs trying to blog, submit my nursing application, and talk on the phone when I heard the popcorn popper start up. It is not an unusual sound around our house...it is one of our favorite treats. The girls have learned their lesson about appropriate popcorn eating locations (mommy's bed IS NOT an included) and proper butter to popcorn ratio (a full cube is not necessary unless you work at the Megaplex). Apparently, we are still mastering bowl size selection, because this is the sight I came upstairs to. But not before Claire learned the lesson of secure popcorn kernel bag closure.
So the pictures don't do the mess justice, considering I came upon it "mid-pileup" and half a pound of kernels tend to scatter. Truly from one end of the kitchen to the other! With the stress of my dad's health situation, I was already on edge and the girls knew it. They looked at me nervously, apologizing immediately, anticipating the yell. At this point I simply handed them each a hand broom and dustpan, laughing. Sometimes it's the only way to keep from crying!


4 comments:

dede said...

I am glad you could laugh - sometimes I think blogging gets my kids OUT of a lot of trouble, instead of yelling I grab my camera and post it!

Marci said...

Oh Brooke! I feel like some days all we do is clean up new messes, never catching up on the old ones, or just the normal mom jobs. I am proud of you for laughing...I would have lost it. I hope your dad is ok. We will be praying for him. Love ya!

amelia said...

What a great attitude you have! That's hilarious that they just went ahead and did that on their own. My kids seem to do crazy stuff like that too, but that one hasn't happened yet... knock on wood! CUTE! I love the king-size bed picture! CLASSIC!

the bonzoodles. said...

You are such a good writer. I always love reading your posts because they are so perfectly written. Anyways, I wanted to tell you we have the same popcorn popper. Isn't it amazing how much better the popcorn tastes with an air popper than in the microwave? Soon enough I will be dealing with my children making their own but for now they leave it up to me! Oh, you should get the bags of popcorn from Sam's club. They have huge ones and they are SOOOOO cheap.