Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Project: Organization!

The girls' closet is a DISASTER!! When we moved in, all rooms were painted, one girly bedroom and one masculine bedroom. Being largely pregnant and not wanting to take on another task, I moved the girls into the purple girly bedroom. Sadly, it was the one with the smallest closet. Despite my great plans of having a playroom downstairs, all toys seem to migrate to this spot. Notice the large chunk of empty, wasted space between the "pile" and the clothing rod. So, I devised a plan to install shelves in half of the closet. My plans, of course, involved my dad's help, but his pancreas disagreed and left me to wait it out or do it myself. Those who know me know I went with the obvious choice.
I carefully measured, drew out plans and had all my supplies cut and prepared. However, with my schedule, the project had to go in phases. All supplies were moved into the girls' bedroom before I left for work one night. I got a sad phone call shortly after arriving that "someone" had written me a message of "I love you" on one of the shelving boards. I was so touched by it, that I told Paige it was ok and she could leave her message. Apparently she took that as, write all over it because this is what I came home to the next day. Eh...kind of cute, and although you can't see it, they signed their names and somewhere on there they wrote that they have the best mom ever. Who could be mad at that? And so started the bottom shelf...

TA-DA!!! How much better is that?? I found these awesome rolling bins at Target and measured my shelves to fit them exactly. The girls went through and divided toys into a "hard-toy bin", "a soft-toy bin", and a "snuggling-toy/Webkins bin". There is extra room on the side for bigger things like Polly Pocket cruise ships and giant My Little Pony birthday cakes, and still room for hanging shorter things on the rod like skirts and sweaters. I just could not be more pleased!! But don't tell Steve, it kind of puts me in the mood for an entire girls' bedroom remodel! :)

2 comments:

Heather said...

Brookie I am so impressed! You might have to come up and do my closets too!

Ms. Earl said...

Impressive! I could use some practical skills like that.