Tuesday, July 14, 2009

4th of July Tradition

I know it is terribly "un-patriotic", but when my kids hear 4th of July, they instantly think of hot air balloons. This has been a tradition Steve and I started when Claire was just a baby. It is a VERY early morning, but worth it to see the magic in the kids' faces. It doesn't matter how many times we see them, every year is so exciting to them.
Of course, this being Bode's first time, he didn't really seem to care. He looked at them a little bit, and jumped when they shot the fire in to blow them up, but other than that he was just happy to be along for the ride.

Among our favorites were, the piggy bank (every year!), Smokey the Bear and this year a new balloon, Tony the Tiger! In talking to the Frosted Flakes guy, rumor has it that next year will bring Mickey Mouse! I'm voting for the Coke bottle, but this is Provo.

Even though it is painfully early, the sunrise is breath-taking!

And the best part...Krispy Kreme has hot donuts on the way home!

5 comments:

dede said...

I love it! What a great tradition! and you took a picture of the red, white and blue balloon which makes it patriotic too!

great pictures!

Heather said...

How fun! I've heard a lot about this lately. Maybe we'll have to check it out next year.

Jewels said...

Ok, I'm thinking it has been a long time since I've seen you since your hair is all of a sudden really long! What the crap?! We need to get together...now! :)

amelia said...

what a fun tradition! i know they used to have a festival like that in park city, but i hadn't heard of the provo one until now. cool!

the bonzoodles. said...

I love the pictures you took especially the one with your oldest and the balloons in the background. I had to write as I was thinking that I still needed to put a pic up of "P" in the dress you sent. She wears the hairbows all the time. They are my absolute favorites. I still need to learn how to make some because they seem pretty easy. How did you make the one with the curly ribbon? It has be baffled? Anyways, maybe one day I will get the picture up. Thanks again.