Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Moving in...One Room at a Time

By popular demand, meaning three friends have asked, I am starting to post pics of the new house. We are so, so happy here. It really is everything we ever wanted and more! The neighbors were so welcoming and we find ourselves outside talking with them nearly every night while all the kids play together. There is a little boy next door that the girls love and three little sisters across the street that come to play often. The girls are in the backyard all day, wanting to eat meals out there and everything! To avoid being overloaded, this is a gradual tour. Especially since I am not posting pics until I have every room just how I want. So, with that being said, first on the tour is...the kitchen! This was the first room I fell in love with. I have always wanted an island and this one works perfectly! The girls think it is so fun to sit up there for breakfast or to play. I loved the cupboards from the get-go. You can't really tell in the pictures, but they have a wainscoating inset that I just love. And they are so tall! Even I have to get on a step stool to reach the top shelf inside. I can't believe how much room we have in here, we even have empty shelves in some cupboards. The sink is the deepest I have ever seen, which can be dangerous because it holds more than a dishwasher full. To top it all off, it's red! Just like my old kitchen, so I don't even have to paint, which is a good thing because I am stubborn enough to do it, baby belly or not. My one complaint about the kitchen is the floor. When we first saw it we thought, uggh, it's linoleum, but it looks like tile so it will be fine. Now in living with it, yes, I guess it does look like tile, but it looks like filthy tile. I think the idea is to hide dirt, but it looks awful. That will be our first major home improvement project, but not right away.
It was really a bummer for me when we found out that our kitchen table was too big for the dining space. I was so sad that I skipped right over to Gardner Village and picked out a black counter height set complete with bench. In the picture we don't have the leaf in because the dining area really is very small, but it can extend into a true square and I love it!
There was also some drama over the kitchen curtains. After we put in our offer we asked our agent to add in the window treatments in the kitchen and living room. He told us they had said it was no problem. Apparently it was no problem since he never asked them! The seller's agent said he never received that request from Scott. However, I am pretty pleased with myself in making their replacements. Still a work in progress, I have got to figure out how to cover the top of those hideous vertical blinds, or convince Steve to let me rip them down!

8 comments:

My name is Andrea said...

How cute! I love your table and I love Gardner Village...it's one of the things I miss!! We have been here a year and I have NO curtains anywhere...maybe one day!!

The Gatherum Family said...

LOVE IT BROOKE!!! Looks amazing! I am so happy for you guys. You are getting close yourself missy, only a few more months and your lives will be tipped upside down by a BOY!!! Just kidding, they are so fun.

Heather said...

Brookie, I love your new house. It is soooo cute! I especially love the window treatments you made. You need to come to my house and teach me how you did it. I am serious. I need the help. I also wanted to say thank you for the sweet comments on my blog. You are such a great friend to me and my family. I am so glad to have you in my life. I just know that we will be friends forever. I can't wait for your little guy to get here so he can pal around with Jackson. It will be sooo much fun!
-One of my favorite memories of you is during our "Grease" video when you "popped" your collar! Soooo funny! I also remember the many discussions we had while sluffing seminary back in high school. We had some great times. However, I think the best memories I've had of you have been seeing you as a wife and a mother. You are amazing and I hope to be like you! I love you girl!

Heather said...

Hey Brookie,
By the way I don't know if you ever told me that story about when I moved into the neighborhood. You were an answer to my prayers too. I know I moved into that neighborhood for a reason. I have loved all the many memories we have made and I can't wait to make many more as we grow old. Love ya!

Gooches said...

congrats! the house is so cute! where is it?

Heather D. White said...

Love your kitchen. I hear ya on how awesome it is to have great neighbors. We are outside every single night while the kids play in the circle. That alone, is one of the major reasons that we will probably live here forever. INcredible what a difference it makes to have good neighbors.

Melissa said...

Love it!!! So cute. :)You do such a great job decorating.

Jewels said...

Brooke, your house is SO cute! You did such a good job. I do need to see it in person though to get the full effect! :)