Monday, July 7, 2008

Soccer

Earlier this spring, my cute friend Melissa called telling me she was going to attempt to coach a SL County Rec Soccer team. Her little girl, Chailyn, was going to play along with another neighbor friend, Kaitlyn. I asked Paige if she was interested, and wanting to grow up to be just like her cousin, the near-Olympian soccer player, Kendyl, Paige said yes! The problem was: she hated it! The first several games were cold, her shorts kept falling off, kids wouldn't pass her the ball. She just didn't quite grasp the concept of playing soccer. We mostly found her "Relief Societing" on an empty corner of the field with Chai. Once they served snacks at half-time, it was all over. Getting her back on the field after that was a waste of breath.
I'm sure other parents thought we were Satan as Steve and I stood on the sidelines screaming for her to get in the game and try to kick the ball. Steve finally threatened to take her soccer shirt to another neighbor girl, Sophie, who he had heard wanted to play. That was enough to do it. She ran right into the middle of the group and kicked the ball as hard as she could and scored a goal! (She calls it "made a score".) Paige was very excited to get shirt #11 because her cousin Brady had that number in baseball. She also loved wearing shin-guards. It was a fight getting them on, but when Steve did a practice kick into her shin she giggled and thought they were the best ever. Unfortunately that got Claire wanting to kick Paige all the time!
The "Red Rockets" had a far from stellar season, partly due to the fact that Paige had mostly three year olds on their team. These three girls towered over them! It also didn't help that even though our games were at noon every Saturday, they rarely had six players to play with! I'm not sure we will sign her up again, but it was a fun eight weeks.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Such fun pictures! I think I know where Paige got the "Relief Society" tendencies! j/k
Hey call me Brooke and I'll explain how to do the collages. It's super easy.

Heather D. White said...

OMGOSH....that's totally how I felt when Kaden played soccer. I finally told Chas that he would have to go to the games for a while so I could let off steam. LOL! Turns out Kaden was awesome at Baseball though...I think that might be his sport! I have to say, I was totally impressed that Melissa coached. So cool!

Jewels said...

Well it's about time!! Welcome back! We need to go out soon and we need to come see your house. It looks so cute! Call us!

pearlsandchocolate.com said...

Wow!!! You changed the look of your blog! I love the blue and the polka dots! Looks like Bear Lake was fun! Paige looks like a future Olympian herself!

The Gatherum Family said...

YAY Brooke, I am glad you are back. I have LOVED looking back at all your new posts and I love your house!! Congrats. Hope your summer is going great...I am glad you got a new computer, I was missin' you in the bloggerhood...

Melissa said...

My favorite was the lipstick- you so have to share that story. Those where some good times.
Tell Steve thanks for coming Saturday to help us move. You guys are awesome. :)
When are we going to go to dinner again- we so need to have a date night. :)