Tuesday, September 2, 2008

6 Years Ago...

It is so hard for me to believe that just six years ago, I brought this sweet little baby home. It is so hard to believe that in those short six years, that baby grew up to learn to crawl and walk (a miracle I never thought I would see with her after all the trouble with her feet). She learned to talk and laugh. She became a big sister and learned to share (we're still working on that one). This baby learned to spell her name and to read, and just last week, I sent that baby to kindergarten! Now this baby is an energetic, beautiful six-year old girl. Her birthday this year was a week-long event! It all started last Sunday at a birthday party/dinner in her honor at Grandpa BigMac's with her cousins. Grandpa had his right knee replaced this week, so we celebrated early! Paige, Claire and I decided to experiment with dessert and ended up with a fun butterfly cake to share. The cousins seemed to love it!
Paige's actual birthday was Friday. She was able to take her favorite book, "Parts", to school and also took yellow sugar cookies to share with her class. She was able to talk on the phone with her "birthday twinner" (Paige and her cousin Katherine were born 4 hours apart). Later, we went on a family date to her restaurant of choice, Sweet Tomatoes. The birthday rolled over into Saturday where we invited 15 friends to the waterpark for lunch. Luckily it was warm, but pretty windy, so rather than play in the water, the kids mostly played on the playground in their swimsuits, while the boys caught caterpillars. But no one seemed to mind the lack of "waterpark" involved in the party. Paige got spoiled rotten with presents and we went home in Barbie Heaven! She got to spend the rest of the day playing with her cute little friend, Chailyn, who has moved too, so we rarely get to see her!
And then Sunday came, and the birthday still wasn't over. We had planned a Vincent picnic for the birthday twinners that ended up being rained out (or should I say FLOODED out). It started to pour just before the party was about to start, and of course Paige's mom and dad were too preoccupied with birthday that we forgot our cell phones when we got to the park. After eating alone in the rain, we went home to find that the party had been moved to Katherine's. So one of the guests of honor was two hours late for her own party, but still got cupcakes and ice cream and best of all, got to see Katherine! Paige seems a little down that her birthday is now over, but mommy is grateful! I am beyond sentimental about her turning six this year and ready to wait one more before birthday throws up on us again!

3 comments:

Heather said...

How exciting! I can't believe that she is 6! I remember coming to the hospital to see her and hold that beautiful little girl. She is still just as beautiful with a personality to match. We love Paige!

The Gatherum Clan! said...

Yeah! I now know what your blog is! I was just thinking the other day that I should email Steve to get your blog address. Wow! Time flies! I can't believe Paige is 6! Is she really only 2 years younger than Sam? That just doesn't seem right. Crazy! I hope we can get together next year when we visit. This year I drove the kids to Utah and then left about a week later and met Tom and we went to Costa Rica. We were home one night in Utah and had to leave to come home the next day. It was crazy, but worth it! Ok,we are so excited about your baby boy! and I am so glad that you were able to sell your condo and that you can be in a house. Sounds great! Well, I better stop typing---probably the longest comment you've ever gotten. mmm....me talk too much?! :) Glad to hear and see that you guys are happy! :)

Tamilisa said...

Oh my goodness. Time is flying by!!!!!!!!! I remember holding her when she was so little! What a beautiful post. Paige is so darling!