Tuesday, December 16, 2008

They're Gone!!! Now what?

After six long weeks of asking "Is it December 4th yet", Paige finally got her casts off! She was so excited she could hardly sleep the night before. She just kep saying, "Tomorrow I am going to be movable!" Little did she know...



We had explained to her what would happen. They would use a machine to cut off the casts, but it would not hurt her, just be noisy. But I don't think anything could have prepared her for this. She was terrified once they started cutting and was horrified at the sight (and smell!) of her legs. We knew she had lost some weight with her casts on, but her little legs were so skinny! She just kept screaming, "I'm hideous, put them back on!"

Once the casts were off, it took four people and Steve to hold her down to scrub her legs with warm water. They found two large wounds from the incisions on her feet and instructed us to soak them everyday. (I have pictures, but they are not for the weak of hearts! They even made me a little woozy)
Now the real wait begins. With her feet in a different position than she has ever walked on before and her legs stiff as boards, she has to learn to walk all over again. The scabs on her feet terrify her, so she hates to have them unwrapped and soaked. She has stood a little bit, and will take a few steps, but needs to be reminded to put her heels down too. Unfortunately for her, my patience has run out and I am SO ready for her to start moving! For now, we just keep pushing her a little bit each day and continue to check up with Dr. Santora weekly.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Oh poor little Paige. We love that girl sooo much! I'm so sorry that she has to go through this (and you too Brookie.) I hope that things get easier! Tell her hi for us!

Marci said...

Brooke! This makes me so sad! I hope she is ok! I couldn't imagine having one of my kids going through that! Poor thing. It is almost easier for them to go through stuff like that when you know they will not remember. I love ya Brooke!

KJlovesBubba said...

Oh poor Paige and they say that kids rebound! Is this where "baby steps" comes into play? I feel for you too - hopefully she gets more courageous and less cautious soon.

Jewels said...

I'm sure she'll get sick of just sitting around soon and want to get mobile. Hopefully! Let's for sure get together after Christmas...I know you said that just because you want your $8. :) Just kiddin', I know it's because I'm so fun. It was SO good to see you the other day!

mph said...

Wow! That would be really tough. Jessica broke her foot and was in a wheelchair for about 6 weeks because she was too clumsy on the crutches and it wasn't easy. That is awesome that this is something that can be fixed.