Sunday, August 3, 2008

Jakob

Yesterday we had the great opportunity of watching my nephew, Jakob get baptized. I will not lie...it was quite the day. It all started with running to my step-sister's bridal shower to make a quick appearance and then making the trek to Eagle Mountain. I will admit that my relationship with Jake started out a little rocky. For the first several years of his life, he was such a trouble-maker! But I can't believe what a big boy he has become! My girls just idolize him...Paige is always wanting to kiss him and he is very sweet to take time out to play with Claire. However, his best friend is his cousin Keaton, who is only a year younger than him. When we found out we were having a boy, I asked Jake if he was excited to have a new boy cousin and if he would play with him. He thought about it for a while, with a wrinkled brow and wearily replied, "I guess, but isn't he just going to lay there?"
When I walked into the church yesterday, Jake was the first person I saw and you should have seen the smile on his face! His dad is very...fashionable, I guess you could say? So it came as no surprise to me that Jake was all dolled up in a grey suit with an orange tie. He looked just like a little missionary! I couldn't help running to hug him where he told me he was pretty nervous. My oldest sister Michelle, Jake's mom, had asked me to play the piano, so I began to play prelude and played, and played, and played. Apparently their bishop was suppossed to conduct and his wife went into labor instead! So, Jake's baptism got a 45 minute late start, but it was a beautiful day. He looked absolutely terrified when he got into the water...partly because it was freezing, but the smile on his face when he got out was priceless! This day presented an opportunity for Paige to think about her baptism and ask questions. She seems to be fascinated by it and has been really thinking hard about the sins that would wash away when she gets baptized. Claire on the other hand thought it was "too scary" and says she never wants to do it!
We love you Jake! Thank you for being such a good example to your cousins.

3 comments:

Clint said...

Hey Brooke its Emily you are probably at work with my husband. I just saw your comment on our blog. Thank you for the complement. Your kitchen pictures look great. I love to see how people decorate their homes, And I love that you have that bold red it is wonderful. I love red. Have a great evening.

Heather said...

That is such a neat story. It's great that your kids have cousins that are such great examples!

pearlsandchocolate.com said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!!!