Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"One" Sweet Mess

Bode's birthday bash went off this weekend without a hitch! I "hired" (and by hired, I mean asked) my cute friend Heather to help me make some invites...but instead she just made them for me. (LOVE HER!!!) I must admit...they were darling! I had no idea we knew so many people, but by the time we invited both McClure and Vincent families, and some close friends, we had 50 people coming!! I always order my cakes from Costco because they are so yummy, and for my kids first birthday I have always gotten them their own little cake from WalMart. But this year I couldn't find little cakes at WalMart...just little cakes and cupcakes from Sam's Club. And considering our lengthy guest list, I picked both...and don't they match nicely??
We started out with presents and then let everyone have their cake before the entertainment. As we were serving cake and ice cream to everyone, I looked over at Bode, who was just longingly eyeing his friend Kade's ice cream (the kid is a true Vincent...he LOVES ice cream!!) I bet we had a dozen kids playing in the basement, but when they heard Bode was about to dig in, they all gathered 'round. As per tradition, we stripped him down to his diaper and let him go!

He was timid at first, although eager to try it. Bode has never been much of a "self-feeder" so I thought this could get interesting. He started by picking off each of the three orange balloons, and then the yellow edging. I finally helped him out and pushed his hand a little deeper so that he realized there was something else inside. Although being a frosting lover myself, I can't blame him.
Soon he was grabbing handfuls and shoveling it in. But I must admit, I was proud that he was pretty neat and tidy about it. If a crumb fell to the side of him, he was quick to pick it up. And (unlike his mother) he showed some willpower and knew when enough was enough, and politely pushed the cake away with his feet.
Then, much to the children's dismay, it was off to the bathtub...one of Bode's favorite things. But not to be wasteful...Bode sat in the tub, licking frosting from in between his chubby little fingers before playing in the water. And despite the extra sugar...my little birthday boy slept just fine!
The girls have decided that there is no more growing up in this house for our favorite little boy. So hopefully he enjoyed his 1st birthday, because according to his big sis...that is all he gets!
We love you, little one year old boy!

2 comments:

dede said...

happy birthday bode! he is sweet!

The cake mess is one of my favorite parts of a first bday! Glad you had a good time!

Heather said...

Oh my goodness, he is sooo cute! I am sad we missed it, but we do have a gift to bring over to that big one year old! Love that cake face!